River Street Planning & DevelopmentOn this page: Prattsville | River Street Planning | Recent Awards |News
For nearly fourteen months, River Street Planning & Development has been privileged to organize and lead a volunteer team of colleagues to assist the Town of Prattsville, in Greene County to recover from Tropical Storms Irene and Lee. Our work involves all aspects of community planning, design, economic assessment, implementation planning and advocacy. The Prattsville community has high hopes. In April 2012 The Town Board unanimously adopted its Long Term Community Recovery Plan (LTCRP). Since then the Town was awarded a $50,000 grant from the New York State Department of State to hire River Street as its long term community recovery manager.
In August 2012, the Town was awarded $1.0 million in Community Development Block Grant funds to support housing rehabilitation and small business assistance to address storm damage. River Street prepared six grants that are pending review by New York State offices of Community Renewal, Department of State, Empire State Development Corporation, Office of Parks, Recreation an Historic Preservation, Council on the Arts and Energy Research and Development Authority for LTCRP priority projects. A major grant request to facilitate development of the visionary Town Common Project was recommended for funding by the Capital Region Regional Economic Council. Federal grants are under review by the United States Department of Commerce Economic Development Administration. Before the end of 2012, a full time Vista volunteer will begin work with the newly formed Prattsville Development Corporation to help River Street with program implementation. more ...
River Street Planning & Development, LLC is a woman-owned company located in Troy, New York. Our firm offers services in community planning, economic development, project finance, visioning and public process facilitation, and historic preservation.
We offer an effective, outcome-oriented approach to planning that builds consensus and capacity, strengthens local leadership, and shapes community pride and vision -- vital ingredients for successful community action.
Our planning work is anchored in, and shaped by, a strong element of public involvement, leading to greater cooperation of all citizens around common community interests. more ...
At the New York State American Planning Association Chapter Conference in Rochester New York on September 18, River Street Planning, our team members and communities were recognized with three awards:
- The Town of Prattsville Long Term Community Recovery Plan and New York Rising Community Reconstruction Plan were awarded the Planning Excellence Award for a Grassroots initiative.
- The Town of Prattsville was presented with a Citizen Planner Award.
- The Village of Sidney, New York was awarded the Planning Excellence Award for Innovation in Sustaining Places for development of its Long Term Community Recovery Plan and New York Rising Community Reconstruction Program Plan highlighting the proposed Sidney GreenPlain and Riverlea Farm LEED neighborhood development.
- Adirondack Sustainable Economic Development and Priority Project Implementation Plan - Leading a multidisciplinary team of national and international consultants, River Street Planning has been selected to prepare a sustainable economic development strategy for the New York’s Adirondack Park communities. The program is funded by $375,000 in grants from the New York State Department of State and New York State Department of Environmental Conservation through the Environmental Protection Fund. Our effort builds on the highly successful Adirondack Futures initiative and ongoing development of a parkwide Recreation Plan. Working with Hamilton County and the Adirondack Partnership, we will evaluate economic opportunities for the region and work with local organizations to select and implement priority projects. Our partners on this project are:
- Toole Design – Boston, Massachusetts
- Tourism Economics -
London, England and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- DCG Corplan Consulting - West Orange, New Jersey
- Adworkshop/Inphorm – Lake Placid, New York
- M. J. Engineering – Clifton Park, New York
- Hunter Foundation Strategic Plan - River Street has been selected to work with the Hunter Foundation’s Board of Directors to develop a new Strategic Plan. The Hunter Foundation is a housing and community development organization serving Greene County New York’s Mountain Top region. River Street will evaluate the organization, review community demographics, conduct two community workshops and facilitate Board workshops. A new Strategic Plan will be complete in June 2013.
- Thomas Cole House National Historic Site Capital Campaign - The Thomas Cole House National Historic Site in Catskill New York has chosen River Street to assist them as part of a team helping to develop a capital campaign. Thomas Cole was a founder the 19th Century Hudson River School of landscape painting. At the heart of the organization are the 19th century spaces where Thomas Cole made history: the 1815 Main House, the 1839 Old Studio, and the gardens and views that surround them. One critical piece, however, has been missing for the last forty years – Thomas Cole’s New Studio. The Campaign focuses on reconstructing the New Studio; creating an appropriate new entrance to the historic site; establishing an administrative annex in a recently acquired adjacent building and building an endowment for exhibition and lecture programs. River Street will work with the Thomas Cole House to secure funding for the restoration project from State and Federal partners.
- Prattsville New York Local Development Corporation - River Street continues to support recovery in Prattsville New York. We are providing support to the Prattsville Local Development Corporation as they implement the Town’s Business Recovery Grant Program. River Street is helping to structure and review requests for assistance from local businesses recovering from the damage of Hurricane Irene in 2011. In 2012 we helped Prattsville to secure over $1.6 million in funding for small business restoration, housing rehabilitation, park improvements, streetscape improvements and homebuyer assistance.
- Prattsville Art Center Business Planning - River Street continues to volunteer support to the Prattsville Art Center as it begins its life in a flood damaged building on Main Street. River Street assisted the Art Center to apply for a National Endowment for the Arts Our Town Grant and for a capital grant from ArtPlace, a new private funding consortium supporting creative placemaking and to develop a business plan. The Art Center was one of only forty applicants selected from the national competition to submit full applications and welcomed ArtPlace staff for a site tour in last February. Funding awards will be announced in May.
- Upstate New York ALSA Honor Award For Excellence - In January, River Street was recognized as part of the Rebuild Prattsville Vision Plan Team when our Partner Synthesis Architects accepted the Honor Award For Excellence from the New York State Upstate Chapter of the American Society for Landscape Architecture for the vision concept developed with the community in the fall of 2011.